"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Little Oratory

6a00d8341c543553ef01a3fd16dbb7970b-pi.jpg
Yes, I bought it.  You can too, here's the link.
 Laugh if you must. I cannot resist books that are in the self-help line of mothering.  But this one was by Auntie Leila, guru of motherhood and housekeeping! The great one. Call her what you will, but read her blog! Then see if you aren't tempted when you find out she has written a book.  Plus, there is free art in the back of the book made by an artist who has a connection with one of my favorite past professors.  David Clayton is the artist and he works at Thomas More College where a certain Dr. William Fahey is president.  There are just certain people whom it is good to keep company with, if only by hidden and somewhat stalker-like methods.

So, in fairness, I had decided I would love this book before I ever opened the cover.

But I am so glad I did! Because I just loved it! I loved the decorating advice (natural colors, fibers, symmetry) because I always struggle on that front.  Some people (usually artistic) have a knack for decorating. I am an impressionist, so my decorating can look a bit…hodge podge.  Concrete and practical tips are very helpful.

It's awesome that there are free prints to frame right away in the back of the book…so you really just need to find a place on your wall and get a frame and you can make your little oratory right away.  It makes the book something of a "kit".:)

I'm a huge fan of the line drawing illustrations throughout. They were very inspiring in offering different ways to create an oratory in diverse locations.

And then…there's the whole Liturgy of the Hours thing.  Mm. Again.  First it was Elizabeth Foss who told me she set her phone to bells for each of the hours. Then it was Sarah McKenzie who, I think also listened to the hours on her phone.  And now Auntie Leila?!! All of my blog mentors! All telling me it changed their lives.

So. I tried. Once. I uploaded the hours onto my phone (which I'm completely proud of myself for doing since I'm technologically dense).  I listened to part of the morning prayers once.  The voices sounded like robots. My children started mocking.  My husband said that he had tried to do the Liturgy of the Hours but that it was hard for him…too many words. Too long. There really is a lot there with the psalms and songs…

But now Leila is suggesting just one hour. Vespers? And then there is this notion that it could be sung in church and the general public could simply attend.  That would be so amazing.  I wonder if I could ask some priest around here…  we'd probably need some musician as well.  But perhaps in time.  And until then, as long as Elizabeth is hosting the "Summer in the Little Oratory", I might just try vespers for summer and see how it goes.  If it is life changing, I'm going to tell you!

Now, one final thought.  I am one of those cradle Catholics who grew up praying the rosary and loving my mother's beautiful statue of the Blessed Mother, which we always crowned with flowers during May, or gave fresh bouquets of flowers to.  I can't imagine my fireplace mantle without my own "Mary" on it.  I also have much loved crucifixes to cast glances of love or supplication at throughout the day.  I have icons. I have statues of favorite saints, perhaps with a candle next to it.

  These are little places throughout my home that make my home our little domestic church, our little oratory.  But…I do not have a prayer table.  Not one specific place with a collage of icons and a candle that we draw around to pray as a family.  We sit on our couch and look at the mantle with the statue of Our Lady of Fatima and see the crucifix on the wall.


  St. Joseph is on a side table and St. Therese on the piano.  There are candles, perhaps one on the coffee table to light as we pray.  So…my big question is…does this count? Or would it be better to create a sort of shrine.


  A prayer space set aside. Not just the entire home, but a more poignant place in that entirely Catholic home.  My husband thinks what we have is good enough.  I mean, we are hard pressed to find room for more sacramentals in our home! But, I'm pondering this. And if I am inspired (and I am getting creative), I will be sure to share what comes of it.

That's where I'm at after my first foray into "The Little Oratory".  It has certainly challenged me, and I'm excited about what good may come from it yet!


1 comment:

  1. Just stumbled upon the bookclub at the best time! So excited to join all of you!

    ReplyDelete