"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Summer in the Little Oratory-Chapter 2

6a00d8341c543553ef01a3fd16dbb7970b-pi.jpg
I found a spot.  A spot for my oratory. Even if we aren't sure we need one, since our whole house is an oratory. I'm just going to make one and see.  There's something to just taking someone's word for it. And technically, this idea comes from the Catechism (CCC2691)…so, it's not just Auntie Leila.

Actually, my quibbles on this subject from my first post were answered in Chapter Two, specifically, under the section entitled "Holy Decorating":

 "It's nice to have a small reminder of faith throughout: a crucifix, an image of our Lady.  The idea isn't to shock and awe with our religiosity….On the other hand, we Christians want to reflect our belief and devotion in every room…so it's fitting to have a reminder wherever we are."

But… the prayer corner or little oratory is still worth creating as a sort of altar in the domestic church.  The Catechism recommends a considered place for personal prayer, suggesting that such a 'prayer corner' within a Christian family "fosters prayer in common"(CCC2961).

So, I'm sold in theory.  And here's a peek at my ideas.  Right now, the room looks like this.



Pretty, huh?:)
 Yep, I think there are six or seven paint samples on my wall, and there are way more swatches laying around. And…I'm pretty sure I"m going with "Banana Cream", a pretty creamy yellow color.  The decorating tips are coming in handy--Leila and David recommend soft whites on the walls, and "neutral colors that relate to nature's tones".  That way, the artwork can stand out and not clash with the paint color on the wall.
This guy is going to be replaced too(do you see the paint stain on the corner?)…on the cheap! Wait till you see my (mother's) ingenious idea! 

 You'll have to wait to see how this project evolves.  I'm personally curious to see! But back to the book study!!

Chapter Two just might be my favorite. I keep re-reading sections. I read things out loud to my husband.  
It's really…good.  The section "A School of Virtue and a Domestic Church" is pure poetry!  I just had to scan in some highlights:

    " The child has to learn about the existence of everything….Yet as a child, he must first be                         loved….Even the first act of the mother, which is tenderly cradling her child at her breast, is formative. 

 As soon as we start to think about this, we realize that far from benefiting from lectures on "The Good" or The True" or even "How to Behave", the child can really learn virtue only in a setting where he can be nurtured and corrected by those who are simultaneously struggling themselves to grow in virtue and who treat him with the warm affection only family bonds can supply." 

Yes! Love my children! I think I often feel like I need to deliver those lectures on "The Good" and "The True" and "How to Behave"…when I really just need to struggle to be virtuous myself and treat my children with warm affection.

There's enough to ponder all summer in itself!





1 comment:

  1. Thank you for these beautiful reflections. I encourage you to do exactly what suits you with your own little oratory. It's all about expressing the character of your own family and your own tastes and devotions. Your memories of the little shrines to Our Lady are very sweet!

    ReplyDelete