"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Six!

When I was One I had just begun...

I always tell my kids the stories of their births on their birthdays.  You all know why Legolas's is so much fun to tell!  I love remembering.  He came after a long day of contractions that I had written off as "Braxton Hicks" and ignored.  


 My brothers and sister and brother-in-law had come to hang out.  At 10pm my wise younger sister sent me to bed with a promise that she'd get the boys to leave soon.


Labor really began once I made it upstairs, but I wasn't a pro at reading the signs.  I got into bed and thought I'd wait to see what happened with the contractions.


When my husband came to bed about 30 minutes later, I told him I thought I might be in labor but wasn't sure.  About 5 minutes later I had a monster contraction and was sure!


We called the midwife and convinced her to come NOW!  We called my mom at 11pm to tell her I was in labor, just to be on call.

I tried a warm bath, but didn't find it comfortable.  I went to lay on my bed and...my water broke, and with it, I felt my baby's head!  My husband called the midwife, who was 20 minutes away.  She talked him through the delivery: head, check for cord, catch the baby.  

Legolas came out pink and screaming!  I knew he was just fine!  We snuggled until the midwife came.  I called my Mom at 11:30 to tell her it was a boy!  And what a boy he is!


Legolas, my little Light, Happy Birthday!  He's Six!!

...I think I'll stay Six for ever and ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment