"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Friday, April 28, 2017

There and Back Again...

Have you ever wanted to know what it is like to travel 4,000 miles with 9 children, a labradoodle and...a kitten?

It is FUN!  Fun by 10 am Day One, that is, when you hit a gas station that happens to have a Burger King attached, you and your husband get a chocolate shake and the kids???they get crowns!  Yep.  They ALL had crowns.  Spirits high, we were on our way!


I had never been to St. Louis and have always wanted to see the Arch!  We really didn't have time to get out and take selfies, but we got an awesome view of it as we drove through the city.  We saw it again on the way home, so I feel very satisfied that I've seen it!  



What is this trip I speak of?  None other than our annual trek to see my in-laws.   We spent many hours hanging out in their backyard playing wiffle ball.




My mother-in-law makes amazing carrot cake and Arwen decorated this one for Easter:


We did manage to dye eggs; a tradition that I really do love.




And some very happy times at the farm:




My brother-in-law's family's dogs
This is really a horse ranch, but my mother-in-law is getting out of the horse business.  It's sad to see all of the empty stables and fields, but for the first time we could actually run through the fields and explore, which was special.





And there's the swing...



 And the pond:



Did I say we came home with a labradoodle and a kitten?  Well, you know about our dog.  The kitten is it's own story.  I am out of time, but I'll post soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment