"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Friday, January 11, 2013

When it rains it pours...

We got the stomach flu.  One to two children, every other day, all week long. But I'm good with the stomach flu. I throw sheets in the wash and I don't look back. If I feel good, we're good. I send my husband out for saltines and sprite and we keep on pluggin'.

Until it's Friday. And we had a rainstorm last night, and the kids had kicked the gutter and knocked it off at a key corner of the house, which we did not discover...until our basement was flooded.  And now my dear husband, after holding my baby so I could sleep (did I mention I'm sick too? just today), after getting food for dinner so we could eat...is now putting his second hour into wet-vaccing the basement.

When it rains it pours...somehow that one is much too literal around here.

Back in 2005 we were in the middle of a nasty winter. There was an ice dam in our gutter (of our old house). The power went out, the ice dam flooded our attic and the ceiling started dripping in the middle of the night.  And then my children got the stomach flu: in the dark, since the power was out. We had to use a flashlight to clean up the mess on their bedroom floor.

When it rains...

On the positive side, does this mean we're done for the season?!

No comments:

Post a Comment