"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Monday, June 1, 2020

Weekend Getaway


Speaking of "emerging", re-entering society after the shut-down that was Spring 2020, well, there aren't that many places to go...but nature is always there for us!  We headed to the "family farm" and met up with my sister who lives the state over, 31 weeks pregnant, and her family that we love and miss!  So so awesome to see her before the baby comes!


We happened to land a most exquisitely beautiful Spring Saturday.  We lucked out because the baby sheep were delivered that day.  The cows were hiding in the shade, the pigs ran in a group of 5 as we got too near to their pen.  It was awesome to chase them down, my 3-year-old laughing at their tails, and my almost-2-year-old Goddaughter holding my hand as we tromped through the tall grass.

cousin love

 Lest anyone ever fail to believe that "siblings are the best gift you can give your child", let me proclaim again and again: it's true!  And the gift keeps giving generationally, as my family of 8 kids now has provided dozens of cousins for my children.  Cousins are the best!


After cousins, those Aunts and Uncles need shout-outs too!  I mean, who wouldn't love this burly farmer to be your uncle?! He's even cuter up close!

There were at least three (other) uncles giving rides on the farm vehicles.  I'm pretty sure there's nothing more exciting for teen-aged boys than wild rides through the farmland on ATVs.


Thanks to Nanny (that's grandma!), we all had homemade tick spray, and not a tick was found on anyone, including those kids who rolled down the enormous hill outside the farmhouse door.

Driving home, dirty and happy after the day on the farm, I could only bask in the glow that is a big, loving family.

Is our family perfect and without a misunderstanding or disagreement? Nope.  But I share this not to make anyone jealous or to brag, but to share the joy that is FAMILY.

It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment