"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Thursday, November 14, 2019

November: a daybook


Outside my window: snow.
We were robbed of fall.  I was basking in the glorious fall colors this year, when one day we had a snow fall.  I always love the first snow, so I just made hot cocoa and enjoyed it.  I figured it would melt and go back to fall.  A few days later it snowed again.  Then an "arctic blast" was predicted.  It snowed again last night.  So...on to Advent?!


I am wearing: my husband's sweatpants.  He's never worn them (maybe once!).  They are my pajamas and I am sick.  The family has been plagued by an awful coughing cold/flu sickness that is slowwwwly moving on and out.  I did manage to get a good day of home schooling in with the kids.  I have been reading more to the littles this year (history and science), and this COUGH has just made that really exhausting!


I am pondering: How fast life is going.  I can't stop thinking about the fact that Arwen will be heading to college in the fall.  She was accepted to the college of her choice a week or so ago, and we're so excited for her.  But I am going to miss her!!  My "baby" is Three now, and suddenly it's dawning on me that I'm in a new phase of life.  There are pros and cons... I'm trying to focus on the pros, and embrace this moment for all it's worth.


From the Kitchen: Hot chocolate.  Lots and lots.  I'm trying to buy organic milk these days. Depending on where I'm at, it's really cost-prohibitive.  Anyway, hot chocolate.

Looking ahead: My husband's Mom is coming for Thanksgiving (unless the weather prohibits her trip to the airport).  His brother's family is also set to join us, although with refundable tickets, we're still waiting for the "official" word.  In the meantime, I'm trying to do a good job of preparing for maybe six out-of-town guests for Thanksgiving (and maybe not).

To do list:  I'll spare you the un-fun details.  On a frivolous (but oh-so-necessary) level, I need to schedule haircuts for myself and two oldest girls.  I also need to get to Home Depot to pick out some vinyl flooring for our kitchen and some tile for a backsplash.  We're finally putting things into motion to give our kitchen a facelift, and if I don't get those items cued up, I'm going to be regretting it come Christmas, when our new countertop goes in, leaving a torn-up backsplash in it's wake.





No comments:

Post a Comment