"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

October

Time is flying by faster than I can blog.  My days have been a whirl of mothering 9 children and learning what it means to rely not on our own strength but on that which comes from Jesus and Mary.  They are faithful and they are merciful.

So, you saw the pictures of my big baby?! Isn't he scrumptious?! A little hard on the old back...I've been trying to put him down more, but he's so happy when I hold him.  Sam has been my most reflux-y  baby, but without the crying that usually goes with colic.  Just lots and lots of spit-up and burping time needed.  Keeping him upright helps.  It's finally getting better, but both he and I were required to change outfits on account of his issues multiple times a day.  I don't ever want to wish away the precious newborn months, but I am not going to say it doesn't get easier on the laundry as he gets better at keeping his meals down!:)

I want to give a quick update on my other children, but I am sure I don't have time to cover all of them in this post.

1) Arwen: rocking home schooling for high school.  She is totally organized and responsible.  She did suffer a pretty tough blow when she was told we couldn't do the home school basketball team.  It travels and has multiple overnight tournaments out of city.  With our family, that wasn't going to work.  But she absorbed that disappointment with maturity,  we found a local league for her to play in this winter (not as competitive, but still fun I hope!), and she has been trying out the clubs that our local home schooling community provides.  God has been good and she has made at least one new good friend so far--and it's only October, so that's not bad!:)

2) Aragorn is playing tackle football.  He is a full head shorter than the other players.  He is young for his class, and either he's not going to be that tall, or he hasn't hit his growth spurt yet.:)  However, he's pretty fast and tough to take down.  He hasn't had much glory this season (no touchdowns:)) but he did get the game ball a couple of games back.  His coach calls him a "little machine", and I think he looks super cute in his pads!  So far no injuries--lets see if we can get through this season safely!!

3) Galadriel was so excited to have her very first babysitting job.  Galadriel is a natural with little kids but at just 10 she isn't really able to work as a sitter.  However, when a nice young mom was visiting our next door neighbor and was looking for a sitter for the morning, they were ok with Galadriel watching her little girls with me next door in case of trouble.

4) Rosie lost her two front teeth and looks like the perfect little first grader she is.

 5) Legolas loves school too!


6) and yes, Eowyn...is still learning that she's not the center of the universe.  So far she's not really buying it.



7) I guess that's everyone but Bilbo and Gimli.  They're good.:)  Actually, they've been having fun playing "crab soccer" in the basement lately.  That's where you play while in a crab walk position (on all fours, but face up).  Bilbo is also on a crazy "Monopoly" kick. He is pretty dominant...I think Rosie might have taken him once.  Yes, excitement all around.  You see? I feel guilty for skipping a kid or two so this is what you get.  Updates on boardgames.  I just lost my reading audience.  Both of them!

1 comment:

  1. Love the update! Sorry to hear about the reflux. I know it's tough when you have to endure countless clothing changes. Hang in there! :)

    ReplyDelete